Bolero Obsession


Fall is here so the season of woolen clothes has begun.
Another bolero has emerged in my collection...




When I started knitting this piece, it was supposed to be a trial of a shawl pattern. Of course, as I always start my trial knitting out of leftovers, this one was no different, so there wasn't enough yarn to complete the shawl, and I couldn't find any of it at the stores in which I usually shop. So I decided to finish off way before than the instructions said so. The shawl turned out really tiny and useless, and just as I was about to unravel it all, I had an idea - to sew ends together and make a bolero...



It is quite a unique model as it can be worn in two ways - in the left picture above armholes are high so the bolero is longer at the back; in the right picture, when you put it on upside down, it turns into a shorter shrug with low shoulders so it looks as if it has short sleeves too. The upper edge in this variation is also a little longer so it forms a kind of shawl collar...


The pattern I used is a collection of various patterns grouped into a shawl. I did some of these samples for the first time, they give very interesting ornaments. The original shawl is worked in 10 sections (some of which are repeated throughout the whole piece) and this makes it convenient for knitting in different colours.

Comments