Turquoise and Melange


A small rug for relaxation moments

 
I've been getting some yarn and fabrics as presents lately, and so that's how this tiny rag-rug has come to life, as the perfect addition for my favourite corner on the balcony. 

I bought the dark blue yarn a long time ago and meant to crochet a completely different rug, but I've never done that. Eventually, it turned out perfect for this little project. The turquoise material is some leftover fabric used for sewing tracksuits. Aparently, my neighbour's sister has been collecting these leftovers from the cut-out materials in a clothing factory and made yarn balls out of them. My neighbour, Aunty M, gave me 3 big balls of these to use for a rag rug. She says that people have ridiculed her sister for doing this, but, in fact, thanks to her effort and recycling awareness, a beautiful piece of home decor has emerged in my workshop.


The beach chair in the picture is also a present from my loving neighbours. The flowers are the work of my husband, who decorated our two balconies with many plants - chrysanthemum, Variegated Mintleaf, herbs, lavander, sage, strawberries, tomatoes, and many, many more...
The apples are from my parent's country house, carefully selected and grown.
So, a house full of home-made products :)

For crocheting the rug I used hook No. 5 and worked in single crochet in the rounds. I started by making a chain 22, around which I worked in sc, by inserting the hook into the back loop only and so I got a slightly ribbed structure. In the corners I worked 1sc, ch3, 1sc, to add stitches in each rnd. I held 2 strands of melange yarn because the turquoise yarn is thicker.

The blue yarn is "Yetti Color", 100% acrylic, made in Checz Republic, and intended for needles 4.5 - 5. The turquoise yarn is fine, smooth synthetic, leftovers from cutout fabric for producing tracksuits.
The finished rug has fringe along the two narrow sides, it weighs 1,450 gr, it's dimensions are 71x122 cm (including the fringe).

Comments