Skirt With Pleats Border

Pročitajte tekst na Srpskom

The skirt was published in an on-line magazine Anita Mei

A long time ago, when I was still at the beginning of my sewing "career", using an ancient old, but a good pattern, I sewed a miniskirt out of nice woolen suit fabric. Back then I didn't really know how to adjust a pattern according to my measurements, so I made it exactly by the book and it turned out too wide in the hips. So, I didn't wear the skirt after all as it was rather baggy on me, and the poor thing was left in my wardrobe for quite some time, waiting for my tailoring development so that it could be refashioned to fit my figure.

On another day, a long time after the above mentioned one, I managed to narrow the skirt in the hip line and it was great... Oh, but wait! This time it also had a flaw - too short for my conservative nature... :-( And, so I left it to sleep alone in a corner of my closet for the second time on end...



Naturally, this post wouldn't exist if there hadn't been for the third day which resolved the final destiny of this  capricious skirt. I had just enough leftovers to finally complete the skirt. I made a long band which I then pleated and pressed and simply sewed onto the hem of my miniskirt. It is now not too short nor too wide for my proportions.

Here is the final result of this simple redo :-)





The skirt has a usual narrow waistband, two darts at the front and four at the back, a zipper and button in the mid back seam. I also added two loops for hanging.


Pleated border at the front...


...and the pleated border at the back - here you can se the seam where I joined two bands together to get a long stripe for pleating; it didn't turn out to be the best work, it would have been better off with the seam inside a pleat, but it's not that bad either.


At the back I left the two sides of the border unsewn, and on the inside I applied the zigzag stitch to prevent the material from


The skirt, understandably, has a lining, which reaches the pleated border and is not sewn to the skirt so as not to pull and wrinkle the upper fabric.




And of course, what's the point of making a skirt if you can't dance in it :)


Most importantly is that those legs and hair can fly freely :D




Some more photos from Belgrade, Zemun Quay, with a flock of swans...







A nice man brought a whole loaf of bread trying to become friends with these graceful creatures...

Comments